Fire in basement suite sends one to hospital
A Kamloops man was rushed to hospital with serious burn injuries after a chicken-strip recipe went awry in a Sahali basement suite this afternoon (April 19).
Emergency crews were called out to a basement suite at 191 Silverthrone Cresc. at about 3:30 p.m. for a reported house fire.
KFR Insp. Sheldon Guertin said the man, in his 20s, was preparing dinner with another person inside the suite prior to the fire.
"They were getting ready to cook some chicken strips with a pot of oil on the stove, and then the pot caught on fire," he said.
The victim then picked the pot up off the stove and attempted to take it outside, suffering second- and third-degree burns in the process.
Guertin said the upstairs neighbours of the suite heard a fire alarm in the basement and rushed downstairs to see what was going on. They then called 911.
Damage to the suite is believed to be minimal.
"There's some minor smoke damage to the cabinets and the carpet's burned a little bit," Guertin said.
There has been no update on the victim's condition.