Overpass to remain closed until mid-June
Repairs to the closed Tranquille overpass should finally begin next week, but it will likely be mid-June before the route re-opens to traffic.
The overpass was damaged on May 11, when it was struck by an excavator being towed by a semi-truck.
It has remained closed since.
Kamloops street manager Jim McNeely said the city and ICBC are set to meet at the damaged pass on Friday, May 25, along with the insurer’s structural engineer and several contractors. After that, contractors will be asked to submit quotations by the middle of next week.
McNeely said because ICBC will be footing the bill for repairs, now estimated at $50,000, the process is slower than normal.
“They want to have some assurance that they’re paying out the least amount they can,” he said. “We can’t just go hire someone to do it. We have to get a somewhat competitive quote for it.
“We might have been underway with repair right now if it was just the city involved. We’re going through ICBC to settle a claim. It is slowing it down to a degree.”
The city now estimates the overpass will open to traffic on Sunday, June 17. Once contractor bids are in, McNeely hopes work will begin within days and estimates it will take 10 to 14 days to get the span back up to grade.
Last week, KTW reported several businesses in the Tranquille Market area, which is served by the overpass, were taking a hit at the register because of the closure.
McNeely said he’s sympathetic to businesses’ concerns.
“But, we’re working as fast as we can to get it back open and make sure that it’s a good repair and the bridge will be in good shape when we’re finished.”