Sloppy smoker sparked townhouse blaze, investigators say
No one was injured but at least one suite in a Sahali townhouse complex was gutted after an absent-minded smoker sparked a late-afternoon blaze, investigators say.
Emergency crews were called to Orion Heights, 1750 Summit Dr., shortly after 5 p.m. today (Aug. 17) for a structure fire.
"An individual in the unit had gone outside on the balcony, decided to have a cigarette and butted it out on the vinyl siding then went back inside," said Dean Olstad, Kamloops Fire Rescue's chief fire prevention officer.
"Five minutes later, his neighbours were banging on the door saying the place was on fire."
Olstad said firefighters got the blaze under control before it could do much damage to adjoining homes.
"It looks like the one unit where they had the fire has some fire damage," he said, noting at least one neighbouring townhouse likely suffered at least water damage, if not worse.
The investigation into the fire is ongoing.