ICBC claims centre will be behind picket lines
The Kamloops location on Battle Street will be among 55 ICBC claims centres expected to be behind picket lines next week.
The Canadian Office and Professional Employees (COPE) Union Local 378 has announced that more than 1,500 members throughout B.C. will be taking strike action on Tuesday, Sept. 18.
“These are employees who have been without a contract for over two years,” said COPE 378 ICBC president David Black.
“Their wages are falling behind, while ICBC executives and business partners got massive salary increases and $1.2 billion of ICBC profits went into government revenues.”
“Striking is never an easy decision and we sincerely hoped our strike action on Sept. 5, when we co-ordinated with the BCGEU and the PEA, would help ICBC focus on reaching a fair and reasonable collective agreement.
“But, ICBC’s attitude hasn’t changed.”
Black said the newest job action is part of an escalating union strategy aimed at getting ICBC back to the bargaining table.
ICBC’s last offer was a two percent wage increase over a four-year contract.
“Our members felt it was very important to take another day of action so they could talk to the public about how the government is mishandling ICBC, not just for the workers but also for drivers that haven’t seen a rate reduction in years,” Black said.
Most of the locations that will be on strike on Sept. 18 were not part of last week’s joint strike with the PEA and BCGEU.
Essential Service levels will be maintained at all striking locations. COPE 378 represents 4,600 workers at ICBC.