Transit drivers treated for carbon-dioxide poisoning
A HandyDart bus has been returned to Ford for the second time this month after two of its drivers were treated at Royal Inland Hospital for carbon-dioxide poisoning.
Maribeth Burton, spokeswoman for B.C. Transit, said a male and female driver were affected.
The first incident happened last week, Burton said.
The driver left work feeling ill, stayed home for a day, returned to drive the same bus and became ill a second time, requiring treatment at RIH.
On Thursday, Sept. 27, another driver became ill during the route and was taken to hospital.
Burton said BC Transit mechanics checked the vehicle both times and were not satisfied, so they sent it to Ford for more detailed examination.
She said the bus is diesel-fuelled and carbon-monoxide fumes are uncommon with that type of engine, though not unheard of.
Passengers would not likely have been affected, Burton said, because it requires hours of exposure for the gas to cause sickness.
She said Ford is looking at the fuel-injection system, but the bus will not be back on the road until BC Transit is satisfied it is safe. Worksafe BC is also inspecting the transit facility on Ord Road, Burton said.