Apartment fire sends one man to hospital
A disabled smoke detector in an apartment at 110 Columbia St. caused the building's fire alarm to be silent during a mattress fire on Thursday, Jan. 24.
Dean Olstad, Kamloops Fire Rescue's chief fire prevention officer, said the occupant of the unit damaged in the fire had disconnected the monitor because it went off when he cooked.
He forgot to activate it again, Olstad said, and that led to the main alarm not sounding.
Damage was minor in the unit, he said, but the man, helped out by other residents of the building, had inhaled smoke and was taken to Royal Inland Hospital for treatment.