Kamloops wineries triumphed at the 2019 All Canadian Wine Championships, with three wineries — Harper’s Trail, Monte Creek Ranch and Privato Vineyard and Winery — winning a record-breaking 14 medals between them.
A panel of 18 judges sampled 1,376 wines from across the country. Sorted by category and price, wines were scored using the 100-point scale and assessed based on sensory components, wine structure, varietal character and overall quality.
The three Kamloops wineries’ 14-medal showing including Best in Class Double Gold Medals for all three vineyards in a variety of categories.
“The results of this year’s competition is a testament to the Thompson Valley terroir and the quality of wines coming out of the region,” said Trish Morelli, executive director of the Kamloops Wine Trail. “The sheer number of medals, combined with the fact that they were distributed amongst all of our wineries, demonstrates regional depth, skilled winemaking and outstanding quality in the vineyards here.”
Topping the charts in the Pinot Noir category, Privato Vineyard & Winery walked away with three Best in Class Double Gold medals for its 2017 Pinot Noir, 2016 North of 50 Pinot Noir and 2015 Grande Reserve Pinot Noir.
“John and I couldn’t be more pleased with results of this year’s competition, both from a collective regional perspective and from our own winery showing,” said Debbie Woodward, proprietor of Privato Vineyard & Winery. “It has always been our goal at Privato to create top quality Pinot Noir and we have worked very hard at that over the years. It is an incredible honour to be recognized for those efforts. We are very proud and proud to be part of this exciting Kamloops wine scene.”
The award-winning wines by medal and category include:
• Double Gold/Best in Class: Harper’s Trail 2018 Pioneer Block Riesling
• Double Gold/Best in Class: Monte Creek Ranch 2017 Chardonnay Reserve
• Double Gold/Best in Class: Monte Creek Ranch 2017 Hands Up White
• Double Gold/Best in Class: Privato 2017 Pinot Noir
• Double Gold/Best in Class: Privato 2016 North of 50 Pinot Noir
• Double Gold/Best in Class: Privato 2015 Grand Reserve Pinot Noir
• Gold Medal: Monte Creek Ranch 2018 Riesling
• Silver Medal: Harper’s Trail 2018 Silver Mane Riesling
• Silver Medal: Monte Creek Ranch 2016 Cabernet Merlot
• Silver Medal: Monte Creek Ranch 2016 Pinot Noir Reserve
• Bronze Medal: Harper’s Trail 2016 Sparkling Chardonnay
• Bronze Medal: Monte Creek Ranch 2017 Hands Up Red
• Bronze Medal: Monte Creek Ranch 2017 Chardonnay
• Bronze Medal: Monte Creek Ranch 2018 Riesling Reserve