Thompson Cleaners and Tailors is the business of the year and Margot Middleton of Middleton Energy Services is business person of the year as the 35th annual Business Excellence Awards were handed out on Thursday night (Oct. 21).
The Kamloops Chamber of Commerce and MNP LLP revealed the winners during a decentralized, low-capacity, live-streamed event from four restaurants. Host eateries were Barside Lounge & Grill, Cordo Resto + Bar, The Noble Pig Brewhouse and Romeo’s Kitchen & Spirits.
Thompson Cleaners and Tailors won the coveted FIT Financial Business of the Year Award and Middleton took home the prestigious Abbott Wealth Management Businessperson of the Year Award.
Other award winners:
• City of Kamloops Community Services Award: C&C Resources for Life;
• Kamloops Chamber of Commerce Employer of the Year Award: Cutting Edge Consulting;
• Kamloops Chamber of Commerce Environmental Leadership Award: Fiddleheads Violin Studio;
• Open Door Group Inclusive Workplace of the Year Award: New Gold Inc. New Afton Mine;
• Venture Kamloops Small Business of the Year Award: Thompson Cleaners and Tailors
• Kubera Retailer of the Year Award: Real Deals on Home Décor Kamloops;
• CN Service Provider 1-10 Staff Award: Ocean Pacific Adventure Sports;
• Kamloops This Week Service Provider 11+ Staff Award: Kamloops Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Centre;
• BCLC Innovation Award: Monte Creek Winery
• Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers Excellence in Trades Award: JUL Construction Ltd.
• Community Futures Thompson Country Emerging Business of the Year Award: Bright Eye Brewing
• TRU School of Business and Economics Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award: Jon Hudon, Ocean Pacific Adventure Sports;
• Kamloops Chamber of Commerce Not-For-Profit of the Year Award: Mount Paul Community Food Centre;
• Kamloops Chamber of Commerce Development of the Year: ARPA Investments Ltd.
Any person could nominate any business, and businesses were nominated for their accomplishments and successes for the year prior to the nomination period. The Kamloops Chamber extended the nomination window by one-and-a-half months this year in response to the pandemic and received 305 nominations involving 238 unique businesses.
Winners of 15 of the awards were determined by the selection committee, composed of 28 community leaders. The Business of the Year was chosen from the winners of the other award categories.
“The past months have been a massive challenge for business and our community,” said Chamber president Dan Carroll.
“All of the Business Excellence Awards winners, finalists and nominees exemplify the resilience and dedication our community needs to ensure that we emerge from these times more united and prosperous than ever before.”
Added Jessy Sra, partner with MNP:
“For over three decades, the Business Excellence Awards have been recognizing the best of Kamloops’ business community. MNP is proud to support these awards and celebrate the success and resilience of hardworking businesses, entrepreneurs and non-profits.
Premier Sponsor: MNP LLP, Accounting Consulting & Tax
Production Partner: GK Sound
Award Sponsors: Abbott Wealth Management, the City of Kamloops, Venture Kamloops, Kubera, FIT Financial, Kamloops This Week, Thompson Rivers University School of Business and Economics, Community Futures Thompson Country, Open Door Group, CN, BCLC, Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers
Grand Prize Sponsor: WestJet
Media Partners: CFJC TV, 98.3 CIFM, B100, Pattison Media and Castanet Kamloops
Printing Sponsor: The Printing Place
Hospitality Partners: Barside Lounge & Grill, Cordo Resto + Bar, The Noble Pig Brewhouse, Romeo’s Kitchen & Spirits.