After a successful return to live events this past year — following a pandemic-related pause —Western Canada Theatre is already planning for the 2022-2023 season, with seven productions on tap.
These include three world premieres, a beloved holiday classic, the return of a WCT fan favourite, new Canadian comedies and a reimagination of one of the most popular musicals of all time.
“It was such a joy to return to the theatre last season and be together again,” WCT artistic director James MacDonald said. “I look forward to another outstanding season starting in just a few months. I can’t wait to share it with you. I can guarantee we’re going to have a good time together.”
Kicking off the 2022/2023 season at Sagebrush Theatre in October is a ghostly world premiere inspired by true events. Full of magic and mystery, Sleight of Mind explores the life of the most documented paranormal psychic in history.
During the holiday season, It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play shares the beloved and uplifting holiday story of George Bailey’s fateful Christmas Eve as a live, onstage 1940s radio broadcast.
After dazzling audiences last season, the incomparable Rick Miller returns to the Sagebrush stage with a BOOM sequel about Generation X. BOOM X will take audiences through the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s with Miller’s signature style of stunning visuals and mind-blowing impersonations.
Curling will be buzzing throughout Kamloops in February 2023 with the award-winning new play Hurry Hard, a Canadian curling love story from Canada’s hottest new comedic playwright.
Grease will be the word heard all over town in April 2022 and WCT is giving the T-bird a fresh coat of paint in a spectacular, all-new, locally created production of the all-time classic rock n’ roll musical.
At the Pavilion Theatre, WCT is sharing two world premieres from renowned and diverse Canadian creators.
Based on actual events, First Métis Man of Odesa is a ripped-from-the-headlines, global love story set against the backdrop of the COVID pandemic and the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Season subscription packages will available as of June 28 online at wctlive.ca.
2022/23 season overview:
• Sleight of Mind, by Daniela Vlaskalic, with support from Hit and Myth Productions. World premiere, Oct. 13 to Oct. 22 at Sagebrush Theatre.
• It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play, adapted by Joe Landry. Nov. 24 to Dec. 10, Sagebrush Theatre.
• BOOM X, written, directed and performed by Rick Miller. A Kidoons and WYRD production, in association with Theatre Calgary and The 20K Collective. Jan. 19 to Jan. 28 at Sagebrush Theatre.
• Hurry Hard, by Kristen Da Silva. Feb. 23 to March 4 at Sagebrush Theatre.
• First Metis Man of Odesa, by Matthew MacKenzie and Mariya Khomutova. A Punctuate! Theatre production, in association with Western Canada Theatre. World premiere, March 16 to March 25 at Pavilion Theatre
• Grease. Book, music and lyrics by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey. April 13 to April 29 at Sagebrush Theatre.