Tales of the departure of dancers at the Duchess on Tranquille have been greatly exaggerated, apparently.
To the dismay of many, the Duchess announced in October that its exotic dancers would soon be no more in an effort to better fit in with a changing Tranquille corridor and North Shore.
The announcement on the club’s Facebook page did not reveal the reason for the departure, but calls to club promoter Sam Parrotta and to the North Shore Business Improvement Association executive director Jeremy Heighton brought out a narrative that explained why such a move would be made.
Heighton told KTW the NSBIA had been in talks with club ownership since the spring about how it wanted to “create family friendly, but also socially appropriate, venues and opportunities along our corridor.”
Parrotta, meanwhile, said, “We just feel that it’s a better fit for the area, with new developments and improvements to the North Shore and Tranquille Road, and we feel our nightclub is a better fit.”
It’s not the first time the club has gone back on its plan to drop strippers. In 2013 it did the same thing, with many calling the announcement a publicity stunt.
When KTW asked Parrotta if people were in for a repeat of those events, he stood firm.
“No, I don’t think so. We’re going to move forward with this decision and we’re going to take how it comes and I believe it’s going to be the best fit for the community,” he told KTW in October.
The club’s Facebook page tells another story — one that involves the dancers never leaving in the first place. Advertisements alluding to exotic dancers were never removed and new ones were posted prior to the announcement strippers would return.
Duchess on Tranquille co-owner Trevor Swanson did not respond to requests for comment before KTW’s press deadline on Thursday afternoon.