Growth of the Tremont Creek wildfire has led the District of Logan Lake to issue an evacuation alert to its residents.
Meanwhile, the Thompson-Nicola Regional District has also issued another evacuation alert, this time covering 11 properties within the following addresses:
•8240 to 8700 Old Meadow Creek Rd;
• 7185 to 7923 Tunkwa Lake Rd and any other properties located within the area noted on the attached map.
The alert also covers the Highland Valley Copper mine, while an evacuation order is in place for Tunkwa Provincial Park.
The BC Wildfire Service said the Tremont Creek fire was continuing to show extremely vigorous fire behaviour on Friday (July 30) afternoon.
As of Friday afternoon, the blaze was burning 18 kilometres northwest of Logan Lake and was moving northeast at a moderate pace. The fire was discovered on July 12 about 8.5 kilometres southeast of Ashcroft and, as of Friday, had grown to an estimated 20,000 hectares in size.
Click here for detailed information on evacuation alerts and orders.
What you should do if under an evacuation alert
• Locate all family members and designate a meeting area outside the evacuation area, should an evacuation order be called while separated.
• Pack essential items, such as government-issued ID, medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (e.g. insurance, credit, and mortgage information), immediate care needs for dependents and, if time and space permits, keepsakes for quick departure.
• Prepare to move disabled persons, children and/or neighbour if assistance is needed.
• Prepare to take pets with you and move livestock to a safe area (if possible).
• Arrange transportation for all your household members. Fill the gas tanks of personal vehicles.
• Arrange accommodation for all members of the residence, if possible.
• Wait for an evacuation order to be issued before evacuating.