Following two years of online celebrations during the COVID-19 pandemic, Kamloops Pride will return with an in-person Pride Week this year.
Pride Week is held by Kamloops Pride, which is a non-profit organization supporting people who identify as two-spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, pansexual, intersex and asexual/agender individuals living in the Kamloops region.
Pride Week will be held from Aug. 22 to Aug. 28. It will include myriad events throughout the week and culminate with the signature event — the Pride Parade and after-party in Riverside Park on Aug. 28.
The Pride Parade draws countless 2SLGBTQPIA+ members and allies to the downtown core for a colourful parade.
The first-ever downtown Kamloops Pride Parade was held in Kamloops in the summer of 2017 and it has drawn many people ever since.
The Pride Week lineup (more details of which are in this story) includes:
• Monday, Aug. 22: Comedy show, scavenger hunt begins;
• Tuesday, Aug. 23: Family art night;
• Wednesday, Aug. 24: Sexual health panel;
• Thursday, Aug. 25: Headphone disco;
• Friday, Aug. 26: Youth dance, pride resource carnival;
• Saturday, Aug. 27: Drag storytime, nature walk, drag show and dance;
• Sunday, Aug. 28: Pride Parade and after-party at Riverside Park, scavenger hunt ends.
Guidance can be provided and promotion of the events can be posted on Kamloops Pride’s social media, as well as in the Pride Week event calendar.
In addition to hosting events, local businesses have in the past displayed rainbow flags in their windows during Pride Week.