The number of businesses closing indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic grows by the hour, so KTW has turned its attention to businesses that remain open, but under altered operating hours and conditions. If you are planning on visiting a specific store, call ahead.
For a list of events that have cancelled and businesses that have closed temporarily, click here.
If you are aware of other businesses that remain open under altered conditions, email firstname.lastname@example.org:
• Cash Stop Loans, at 7-724 Sydney Ave., is open with reduced hours. The store helps clients with no identification or bank accounts get cheques cashed. Cash Stop Loans is open Mondays to Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Fridays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 250-376-8787.
• While the All Aboard Games storefront at 238 Lansdowne St. is closed, it remains open for orders and offers free delivery within Kamloops, Mondays to Fridays. Payment accepted includes etransfers, debit card and credit card. Call 250- 377-0745.
• Andrena's Book Company, at the corner of Columbia Street and McGill Road (right behind Superstore) is open Tuesdays to Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The store also offers curbside pickp and deliveries. Call 250-851-2665.
• Newell Flower Shop, at 357 Fourth Ave., is still open and making contactless deliveries. Orders can be placed by phone at 250-374-4402 or 1-800-661-4161 or online at newellflowershop.com. Newell Flower Shop has operated downtown since 1938.
• Oriental Gardens restaurant at 545 Victoria St. is open for takeout and delivery, Tuesdays to Sundays, from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Call 250-372-2344.
• The City Furntiure store at 1350 Hillside Dr. is temporarily closed to the public, but business continues online at cityfurniturecanada.com.
• Many stores are offering special shopping hours for seniors, those with disabilities and frontline workers in the fight against COVD-19. London Drugs has reserved the last hour of its shopping day for all health-care workers and first responders working during the COVID-19 pandemic — Sundays from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Mondays through Saturdays from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. Save-On-Foods opens daily from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. for seniors and those with disabilities and changing its regular hours, opening its doors to everyone else from 8 a.m to 8 p.m. Superstore has reserved the 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. hour each Tuesday and Friday for seniors and those with disabilities and has also lowered prices on home-delivered goods and eliminated fees for delivery and pick up. Shoppers Drug Mart is now reserving the first hour of shopping in the morning for seniors and those with disabilities (check each store for hours of operation) and is also offering the 20 per cent Seniors Day discount on regular-priced items for the first hour each day, every day.
• Legends Used Books in Dufferin is open Mondays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and offers a Words on Wheels delivery service for those who are self-isolating and can’t make it out to buy some books. Details are on the bookstore’s Facebook and Instagram pages. Call 250-377-8793.
• While Tumbleweed Toys is closed to in-store shopping, it has transitioned to online shopping and phone orders. Tumbleweed offers parking lot pick-up at the shop (Columbia Street and Summit Drive) or free delivery within Kamloops. Call 250-372-3500.
• Both Chopped Leaf locations (in the Summit Shopping Centre at Columbia Street and Notre Dame Drive and in Northills Centre in North Kamloops ) are open daily from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. via take-out, online ordering, Skip the Dishes and Door Dash. Call 250-554-2467 (North Shore) or 250-851-2467 (South Shore).
• Kamloops Costco is among many stores in Kamloops offering exclusive shopping hours for seniors and those with disabilities. At Costco, it begins at 8 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays for those ages 60 and older.
• Cleanway Supply, at 1461 River St., remains in operation, Mondays to Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but its doors are locked to the public. The company is taking orders by phone, but prefers that only current accounts, first responders and support organizations contact them at this time due to a limited stock that needs to be rationed for organizations on the front lines. Call 250-374-1948.
• Kamloops Dodge and its sales and service departments remain open, with service open weekdays. The dealership is at 2525 East Trans-Canada Hwy. Call 250-800-2716.
• Big Don's Super Pawn at 345 Tranquille Rd. remains open. Call 250-376-8829
• Interior Locksmith at 1346 Battle St. remains open and at full capacity as it considers itself an essential service. Call 250-374-5625.
• Sherman Williams paint store in the Walmart plaza remains open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sundays. Call 250-372-7818.
• Canadian Tire Corporation has reduced hours at its retail Canadian Tire stores and closed its Sport Chek, Atmosphere and Mark's stores until at least April 2. Call 250-376-2013 (North Shore) or 250-374-9747 (South Shore).
• Many restaurants have transitioned to take-out service only, including C-Lovers, Mino’s, Original Joe’s, McDonald's, Tim Hortons, Peter Pasta, White Spot, Starbucks, Earls, Moon Wok, Sushi Valley, Boston Pizza, Browns Socialhouse, Krob Krua Thai, Bright Eye Brewing, Moxies and others.
• The PIT Stop, a weekly event at Kamloops United Church downtown that sees volunteers cook food on Sundays and serve the needy, has ceased operations until further notice.
• Kamloops dental offices are available for emergency calls only.
• Most gyms have closed, but No Limits Fitness and Heavy Metal Gym remain open under reduced hours.
In Aberdeen Mall, the numbers of stores remaining open and deciding to close changes daily.
As of March 18, the mall has reduced its hours and is keeping hand sanitizer stations filled as part of sanitation measures.The mall has increased the frequency of cleaning practices in its common areas and is maintaining regular filling of soap dispensers and antiseptic hand-gel dispensers at designated locations, a statement from the mall reads.
Tenants are also being provided with the option of reducing their hours to Mondays to Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. — one hour later than its usual opening.
Previously during the week, the mall was open at 9:30 a.m. and closed at 9 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays.
The proposed hours remain in effect until further notice given the crisis, but the mall recommends checking with individual stores.
“We are relying on the collective co-operation of people who may be showing symptoms associated with COVID-19, not to frequent public places and, as recommended by governmental authorities, remain at home,” the mall’s statement read.
Forty tenants at the mall have closed, including the Cineplex Odeon theatre. Eleven stores have reduced their hours of operation.
B.C.’s provincial health officer this week placed a ban on public gatherings of more than 50 people and asked people maintain a distance of about one to two metres away from each other.
ABERDEEN MALL CURRENT STORE REDUCED HOURS
Ann Louise (Monday - Sunday 11:30am - 5:30pm) Bluenotes (Monday - Wednesday 11am - 6pm, Thursday & Friday 11am - 7pm, Saturday 11am - 6pm, Sunday 11am - 5pm) Dolson's Source for Sports (Monday - Wednesday 11am - 6pm, Thursday & Friday 11am - 7pm, Saturday 11am - 6pm, Sunday 11am - 5pm) GAP Factory (Monday - Saturday 11am - 6pm, Sunday 11am - 5pm) Marshalls (Monday - Wednesday 9:30am - 6pm, Thursday & Friday 9:30am - 9pm, Saturday 9:30am - 6pm, Sunday 10am - 5pm) People's Jewellers (Monday - Wednesday 11am - 6pm, Thursday & Friday 11am - 7pm, Saturday 11am - 6pm, Sunday 12pm - 5pm) Quarks (Monday - Wednesday 11am - 6pm, Thursday & Friday 11am - 7pm, Saturday 11am - 6pm, Sunday 12pm -5pm) Soft Moc (Monday - Wednesday 11am - 6pm, Thursday & Friday 11am - 7pm, Saturday 11am - 6pm, Sunday 12pm - 5pm) Stitches (Monday - Wednesday 11am - 6pm, Thursday & Friday 11am - 7pm, Saturday 11am - 6pm, Sunday 12pm - 5pm) Sunrise Records (Monday - Wednesday 10am - 5pm, Thursday & Friday 11am - 6pm, Saturday 10am - 5pm, Sunday 11am - 5pm).
CURRENT STORE CLOSURES
Ardene Bath & Bodyworks Bell World Below the Belt Bentley Boathouse Bootlegger Call it Spring Chatters Cineplex Odeon Claires Cleo Coles Culture Craze David's Tea Eclipse Footlocker Garage Hudson's Bay Koodo La Senza La Vie en Rose Lululemon Mobile Snap Purdys Quilts Etc. Ricki's Roger's Wireless/Fido Saje Sport Chek Natural Wellness Sephora
Stitches Subway TanJay N Alia The Body Shop T he Children's Place The Source Tip Top Tailors Virgin Mobile West 49 Wireless Wave