A bee smoker is likely to blame for a grassfire at the Eaglepoint Golf Course on Tuesday afternoon, leading to an evacuation of golfers on the links in Barnhartvale.
Kamloops Fire Rescue responded to the fire at about 4 p.m. The blaze was burning in sagebrush and grass off the ninth hole fairway.
The contents from a bee smoker — a device that generates smoke from smouldering fuels to calm bees while their honey is harvested — was determined by firefighters as the likely cause of the fire.
A beekeeper operates on the Eaglepoint property.
According to KFR acting platoon Capt. Jim Gorman, the fire may have started when the contents of the smoker were emptied. No other ignition sources were found.
Ronald Neto, who works in the Eaglepoint pro shop, told KTW about 40 people had to be evacuated from the course.
Gorman said no one was injured and no property was damaged by the fire.
The fire grew to about 200 square metres before being extinguished.
Eaglepoint pro shop manager Erin Jensen said had it not been for the quick response from a neighbour, who was first on scene with a hose, employees and members from the city’s Valleyview fire station, the outcome could have been much worse.
“I’d just love to give a shout out to them,” she said.
Firefighters attended with an engine, bush truck and water tender truck. Firefighters were on scene for about two hours and an irrigation sprinkler was left running in the area.
The golf course was re-opened on Wednesday morning.