Chase Mounties have seized more than $300,000 worth of stolen property from the Lower Mainland and Interior and a cache of illegal firearms — including a James Bond-style suitcase that doubled as a firearm.
Cpl. Scott Linklater said Mounties and members of the Natural Resource Officers Service executed two search warrants, on June 21 and June 23, at a rural property in the 4000-block of Leopold Road near Scotch Creek to recover stolen Crown timber.
“At the time, four individuals — three adult men and one adult woman — were detained,” Linklater said.
During the search, he said police found several vehicles that were confirmed stolen or had the vehicle identification numbers (VIN) purposefully removed. Vehicles with the VIN removed were seized for further inspection to determine their origin.
Linklater said officers also found numerous firearms, several of which were discovered to be prohibited, including a Norinco Mak-90 fully automatic rifle, a Sterling Mark 4 submachine gun, a Smith & Wesson revolver with a ground-off serial number and a drum magazine and a firearm fitted within a small suitcase. A mechanism was fashioned so a person holding the suitcase handle could activate a lever that would pull the trigger shooting the firearm.
During the June 21 search, police found a stolen loader and other larger items that were unable to be recovered at that time. Police returned on June 23 to seize them.
“This investigations was a clear success for the Chase RCMP,” Linklater said. “Not only were we able to work with a partner agency to recover property that had been stolen from across British Columbia, but we were also able to safely remove a number of illegal firearms, preventing them from potentially being used in future crimes.”
Vehicles recovered are:
- A Woodmizer portable saw mill reported stolen to the Salmon Arm RCMP in September of 2018
- A 2017 Cargomate trailer reported stolen to the Langley RCMP in January of 2018
- A John Deere 3720 tractor with front end loader reported stolen to the Salmon Arm Detachment in May of 2011
- A 2000 Honda motorcycle reported stolen to the North Okanagan RCMP on June 16th, 2019
- A 2006 Dodge 1500 reported stolen to the Prince George RCMP on June 13th, 2019
- A 2015 Suzuki motorcycle reported stolen to the Abbotsford Police Department in November of 2017
- A 2008 Yamaha dirt bike reported stolen to the North Vancouver RCMP in November of 2017
- A 2014 KTM dirt bike reported stolen to the North Okanagan RCMP in June of 2018
- A 2007 Keystone Fifth Wheel camping trailer reported stolen to the Langley RCMP in September of 2015
- An Arctic Cat all terrain side-by-side vehicle reported stolen to the Surrey RCMP in November of 2018
- A 2006 Gear toy hauler travel trailer reported stolen to the Ridge Meadows RCMP in February of 2019
- A Caterpillar loader with backhoe reported stolen to the Langley RCMP in January of 2017
- A John Deere Gator utility vehicle reported stolen to the Upper Fraser Valley RCMP in May of 2018
- A Cub Cadet riding lawn mower reported stolen to the Langley RCMP in June of 2017
The four people who were detained were released without charges. The investigation continues.