Following a state of emergency declared in the province, the city is taking further steps to close civic facilities to the public, including city hall, bylaw services and the water- and sewage-treatment plants.
“These come into effect at 8 a.m. tomorrow [Thursday] morning and will be in effect until we see the other side of this epidemic curve,” Mayor Ken Christian said in a video update from city hall on Wednesday afternoon.
“That is serious news for the City of Kamloops and I think it’s important, perhaps, that we dwell on service that we are providing.“
Those services include Kamloops Fire Rescue, Kamloops RCMP and bylaws and residential garbage and recycling collection. In addition, landfills and recycling and yard waste depots will remain open to the public, as will city parks and dog parks.
Services such as building inspection and permitting will be available only by appointment, as will planning services. Civic operations, including road maintenance and utilities operations, will continue around the city and BC Transit buses continue to operate.
“We are urging transit riders to stand behind the red line and try to use social distancing while you are on the bus in Kamloops,” Christian said.
The mayor said the city’s 750 employees are facing the same pressures as others in businesses. He said he has impressed upon the province the need for swift action, when it comes to helping businesses, particularly in the tourism industry.
“I urge you to look after your neighbours. Practice social distancing, but let’s not leave anyone out,” he said.
There has been no word yet on the Kamloops Centre for the Arts referendum, though that is expected to be postponed.
Services closed in Kamloops:
• City hall is closed to the public, except for council and council committee meetings. Other services at city hall may be available by appointment. Call 250-828-3311.
• Bylaw services office is closed to the public, except by appointment. Call 250-828-3409.
• All fire halls, except Fire Station No. 1 in Sahali, are closed to the public. Fire Station No. 1 will be open for permits by appointment only. Call 250-372-5131.
• Development and Engineering Services is closed to the public, except by appointment. Call 250-828-3561.
• Sustainability Services, at Cunliffe House, is closed to the public, except by appointment. Call 250-828-3561.
• Civic operations front desk is closed to the public. Other services at civic operations are available by appointment. Call 250-828-3461.
• Human Resources is closed to the public.
• Kamloops Centre for Water Quality is closed to the public.
• Kamloops Sewage Treatment Centre is closed to the public.
• Cemetery office is closed to the public, except by appointment. Call 250-828-3461.
• The 22 recreation facilities announced on Monday remain closed to the public. Information will be available by phone at 250-828-3500.
Services open in Kamloops:
• Kamloops Fire Rescue
• Kamloops RCMP
• Kamloops Bylaw services
• Emergency social services
• Residential garbage and recycling pickup (includes commercial and multi-family)
• Landfills, recycling, and Yard Waste Depots
• City parks, dog parks, and trails
• Community public washrooms
• Kamloops Centre for Water Quality
• Kamloops Sewage Treatment Centre
• Building inspection services
• Building permit services
• Business licensing services
• Planning services
• Transportation and engineering services
• Social and community health
• Road maintenance, water, and sewer utilities
• Financial services
• BC Transit will be running regular service schedules in Kamloops
• Council meetings