A convicted rapist who refused sex-offender treatment while in prison had been, until recently, working for a Kamloops company that drives drunk people home in their own vehicle after a night on the town.
Donald Sabey, 53, no longer works for Zero Tolerance Designated Drivers. After a court appearance on Monday, he is barred for a year from having any contact with anybody who works for the business.
Sabey has been deemed a long-term offender, one of two labels courts dole out to the most dangerous criminals.
In 2005, Sabey was convicted of sexual assault, sexual assault causing bodily harm, unlawful confinement and uttering threats stemming from an incident involving a sex-trade worker in Kamloops.
Court heard Sabey hosted the woman at his apartment and became violent when she asked about payment. She told jurors he held her captive for 11 hours, whipping her with a belt and threatening to kill her. She fled, naked, when someone else knocked on the door.
Following that conviction, Sabey’s most recent sexual offence, he was sentenced to six years in a federal prison. He was refused statutory release following two-thirds of his sentence, a measure parole officials save for the most dangerous offenders.
He was released when his sentence expired in 2011.
According to parole documents, Sabey refused sex-offender treatment while behind bars and was disciplined by corrections officials for threatening fellow inmates and possessing contraband, including pornography.
In 2014, Sabey was the subject of a warning after he vanished while on his long-term offender supervision order. He was found five days later and jailed. At the time, police said Sabey is considered “a high risk to re-offend sexually.”
Last October, Sabey was jailed for more than four months following a harassment conviction for an offence involving an ex-girlfriend.
Sabey was charged last month with an additional count of criminal harassment stemming from interactions he had in September 2019 with one of his employers at Zero Tolerance Designated Drivers. Court heard Sabey bombarded the woman with text messages.
In court on Monday, Sabey was placed on a 12-month peace bond, meaning he will spend the next year on probation-like conditions, any breach of which would result in new charges.
Crown prosecutor Andrew Duncan had sought a banishment order to keep Sabey away from Kamloops for the duration of the peace bond, but Kamloops provincial court Judge Stephen Harrison declined to impose it.
Instead, Harrison ordered Sabey, who plans to relocate to Richmond, to give his probation officer three days’ notice before visiting Kamloops.
Additional terms will require Sabey to register his social media accounts and phone numbers with his probation officer. In addition, he will be barred from having any contact with anyone who works for Zero Tolerance Designated Drivers.