Coroner's report confirms cause of death of Kamloops woman at campground in 2019

Lucille Beaurain's death at Sandy Point Campground on May 18, 2019, was due to the toxic effects of carbon monoxide from a pot filled with embers and tinfoil inside a tent.

The BC Coroners Service has confirmed that a woman found dead in a tent in a Salmon Arm campground in 2019 died from the toxic effects of carbon monoxide.

A report from B.C. Coroner Wendy Flanagan, released on Monday (Nov. 16), describes the circumstances surrounding the death of 35-year-old Lucille Beaurain of Kamloops at Sandy Point Campground on May 18, 2019.

article continues below

Beaurain was last seen by friends at 15 minutes past midnight that Saturday, when she retired to bed in her tent. Lucille and 10-year-old daughter Micaela, who survived the incident, were found unresponsive in the tent at 10:20 that morning when a friend went to check on them.

Micaela was airlifted to the intensive-care unit at BC Children’s Hospital. A month later, she was at Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children, where she was undergoing physiotherapy.

Micaela Walton Chris Walton
Chris Walton with daughter Micaela at the Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children in Vancouver in the summer of 2019. The 10-year-old was recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning following an incident in a tent while camping at Sandy Point Beach in the Shuswap on the Victoria Day long weekend. Micaela’s mom, Lucille Beaurain, died after the tent filled with CO after a stove was used to heat the inside of the tent.

A pot that contained cold, burnt embers wrapped in tinfoil, which had been used as a source of heat, was located in the tent.

The post-mortem/toxicology examination revealed a blood level of carboxyhemoglobin of 75 per cent. Values of 35 per cent or higher have been associated with fatalities.

The report noted that Technical Safety BC provides public education and awareness programs targeting the risks associated with the operation of portable fuel-burning devices such as camp stoves, barbecues or generators in closed spaces.

It points out that carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is colourless, odourless and tasteless. If inhaled in sufficient quantities, it can interfere with the body’s ability to absorb oxygen.

“Symptoms of exposure include headaches, nausea, fatigue and dizziness. In higher concentrations or prolonged exposure, symptoms can worsen and cause loss of consciousness or death,” the report states.

The coroner classified Beaurain’s death as accidental and made no recommendations.

© Kamloops This Week

 


KAMLOOPS WEATHER

Question of the Week POLL

How has the pandemic impacted your Christmas plans from a financial perspective?

or  view results

Popular Kamloops This Week

Events Calendar

Help Us Help Kamloops. Support Local Media.

In response to the COVID-19 crisis, Kamloops This Week is now soliciting donations from readers. This program is designed to support our local journalism in a time where our advertisers are unable to due to their own economic constraints. Kamloops This Week has always been a free product and will continue to be free. This is a means for those who can afford to support local media to help ensure those who can’t afford to can get access to trusted local information. You can make a one-time or a monthly donation of any amount and cancel at any time .

NEW: For every donation of $25 or greater, we will offer a digital advertising package to the local non-profit group of your choice.

Click on https://support.kamloopsthisweek.com for more information or to make your donation.

Thank you in advance for your support.