Kamloops Home Hardware Centre was named Fit Financial Business of the Year and Colin Lyons of Lyons Landscaping was named Kamloops Chamber of Commerce Business Person of the Year at the 34th annual Kamloops Business Excellence Awards, presented on the weekend by the chamber and the MNP LLP accounting firm.
Due to the pandemic and its physical-distancing and no large gatherings restrictions, the 16 awards on Saturday night (Oct. 24) were handed out in four local restaurants in a decentralized, low-capacity, live-streamed event. Playing host to this year’s gala were the Barside Lounge & Grill in Brocklehurst, Cordo Resto + Bar and The Noble Pig Brewhouse downtown and Romeo’s Kitchen & Spirits in Aberdeen.
This year’s award recipients:
• City of Kamloops Community Service Award: Kamloops Home Hardware Building Centre
• Open Door Group Inclusive Workplace Award: Summit Gourmet Meats
• BDC Manufacturer Award: Absorbent Products Ltd.
• Aberdeen Mall Retailer Award: Lyons Landscaping
• Kamloops This Week Service Provider 1-10 Staff Award: Bliss Float Centre
• Kamloops Chamber of Commerce Service Provider 11+ Staff Award: Lyons Landscaping
• BCLC Technology Innovator Award: iTel Networks Inc.
• Community Futures Thompson Country Emerging Business of the Year: Far & Wide Kamloops
• Kamloops Chamber of Commerce Excellence in Trades: Cutting Edge Consulting Inc.
• Kamloops Chamber of Commerce Employer of the Year: Checkmate Fire Prevention Inc.
• Kamloops Home Hardware Not-For-Profit of the Year: Kamloops Symphony Orchestra
• TRU School of Business and Economics Young Entrepreneur of the Year: Greg Klohn, GK Sound
• Venture Kamloops Small Business of the Year: Diverse Training Center
• Kamloops Chamber of Commerce Business Person of the Year: Colin Lyons, Lyons Landscaping
• FIT Financial Business of the Year: Kamloops Home Hardware Building Centre
• Kamloops Chamber of Commerce President’s Award: Bryce Herman
Any person could nominate any business — and businesses were nominated for their accomplishments and successes for the year prior to the nomination period. The Kamloops Chamber extended the nomination window by a month-and-a-half this year in response to the pandemic and received 305 nominations featuring 238 unique businesses.
The 2020 awards also marked the introduction of two new awards: the Community Futures Thompson Country Emerging Business of the Year and the Kamloops Chamber Excellence in Trades Award.
An independent committee individually scored each nominee and MNP tabulated the scores to announce the three finalists (or four if there was a tie) in each award category. The committee then conducted personal interviews with each of the award finalists to determine award recipients.
Winners of 14 of the awards were determined by the selection committee, which was composed of more than two-dozen people. Business of the Year was chosen from the winners of the other award categories, while the President’s Award as chosen by Kamloops Chamber of Commerce President Tyson Andrykew.
“On behalf of our board of directors and our chamber team, I want to congratulate the winners, the finalists and all of the nominees of this year’s awards,” Andrykew said. “Although this year’s event certainly had a different look and feel than the awards have ever had, it’s important that we come together to celebrate the successes of our local businesses and leaders like we did this evening.”
MNP LLP partner James Foucault added: “The Kamloops Chamber Business Excellence Awards have always inspired businesses to do their best and amid these challenging times, this year is no exception.”
• Premier sponsor: MNP LLP, Accounting Consulting & Tax
• Audio-Visual sponsor: Lee’s Music
• Media sponsors: Kamloops This Week, CFJC-TV, 98.3 CIFM, B100
• Recognition sponsors: New Gold Inc., New Afton Mine, Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers
• Event partners: Barside Lounge & Grill, Cordo Resto + Bar, The Noble Pig Brewhouse, Romeo’s Kitchen & Spirits, River City Limo, Mitchie’s Delivery