Kamloops man who beat Jessie Simpson denied parole

Kristopher Teichrieb is serving a seven-year sentence in federal prison for the 2016 baseball bat attack that left then-18-year-old Jessie Simpson with life-altering permanent brain injuries.

A Kamloops man who confronted and violently beat a teenager with a baseball bat in 2016 has been denied parole.

Kristopher Teichrieb is serving a seven-year sentence in federal prison after pleading guilty two years ago to one count of aggravated assault stemming from a brutal baseball bat attack that left Jessie Simpson with life-altering permanent brain injuries.

article continues below

Teichrieb had been charged with attempted murder, but struck a plea deal with prosecutors. 

Simpson was 18 on June 19, 2016, when he became separated from a group of friends while out celebrating the end of the school year. He wandered onto Teichrieb's property near the corner of Holt Street and Clifford Avenue in the early-morning hours before being attacked.

Court heard Teichrieb’s Brocklehurst neighbours called 911 to report the attack, the bulk of which took place in the middle of the street after Simpson attempted to flee. Neighbours told police they could hear Simpson crying and saw him covered in blood.

When police arrived on scene minutes later, they found Teichrieb standing over a bloodied, motionless Simpson, saying, “I got him.”

Jessie Simpson pizza
Jessie Simpson is seen enjoying a slice of Papa G's pepperoni pizza. This past summer, Papa G’s held a fundraiser to help Simpson's mom, Sue, upgrade the family home so her son can return.

In the weeks leading up to the attack, Teichrieb had been threatening vigilante action after calling police a number of times to report criminal behaviour near his home. Police had cautioned Teichrieb against taking matters into his own hands.

According to Parole Board of Canada documents made public on Thursday (Nov. 12), Teichrieb applied for day and full parole in October.

The documents state Teichrieb has not fully “accepted responsibility” for his role in the attack that left Simpson injured. Teichrieb told the board he believed Simpson had broken into his vehicle and that Simpson hit him during the altercation.

“You accept some responsibility for your offending, but you are more concerned with the consequences to yourself rather than to the victim,” the document reads. 

According to the documents, Teichrieb has not been an ideal inmate behind bars. He is described as being “entitled” and “high-maintenance” at times.

The parole documents describe an incident behind bars in which Teichrieb was using a mop to clean up blood after a violent assault in which he was not directly involved. Teichrieb has been disciplined behind bars, including institutional charges being laid and time in segregation as punishment. Offences have included refusing orders, cell visiting, peer issues, fighting and hoarding medication.

“The Board finds that the positive elements of your case are insufficient to counter the negative at this juncture,” the document reads. 

“The Board has determined that because you have not fully expressed insight and accountability, you have medium need for improvement in contributing risk factors, you are unable to identify exact program skills you can use to manage yourself, you do not appear to understand your temper, you deflect blame and responsibility on undiagnosed mental challenges, you behaved violently and broke rules in the institution, you did not take direction consistently, and you are either unable to or unwilling to say why you behaved in such an extremely violent manner rather than follow police direction and advice, that it has sufficient reliable and persuasive information to determine that your risk on day or full parole would be undue at this time.”

Teichrieb will become eligible for statutory release in March 2021, once two-thirds of his sentence has been served.

A civil lawsuit filed on behalf of Simpson against Teichrieb is slated for trial in B.C. Supreme Court on Jan. 11, 2021.

jessie simpson hospital
Jessie Simpson was 18 on June 19, 2016, when he became separated from a group of friends while out celebrating the end of the school year. He wandered onto Teichrieb's property near the corner of Holt Street and Clifford Avenue in the early-morning hours before being attacked.

The notice of civil claim filed on Simpson’s behalf states Teichrieb, following the attack, sold his $587,000 Clifford Avenue home to his parents for $1. According to the claim, the transfer was signed on Jan. 17, 2017, and registered at the Kamloops Land Titles office seven months later.

“The transfer of Clifford Avenue by Kristopher Teichrieb and Mandy Windis [Teichrieb’s former girlfriend and co-owner of the home] was made with the intent of delaying, hindering or defeating the recovery of damages that Simpson will be awarded in the civil action together with other claims or damages that Simpson is to receive in compensation for the injuries inflicted on him by Kristopher Teichrieb,” the claim reads.

“The Teichriebs participated in the transfer of Clifford Avenue for the express purpose of defeating any future claims brought by Simpson. The Teichriebs knew that receiving Clifford Avenue for no consideration reduced Kristopher Teichrieb’s assets such that he would be rendered insolvent, to the prejudice of Simpson.”

The claim asks the court to declare the $1 transfer a fraudulent conveyance and render it void, meaning any potential damages awarded to Simpson could come from the sale of the home.

Teichrieb, his parents and Windis have three weeks to respond to the claim once they have been served.

None of the allegations in the claim have been proven in court.

Simpson was scheduled to be in Vancouver this week for another surgery.

© Kamloops This Week

 


KAMLOOPS WEATHER

Question of the Week POLL

How has the pandemic impacted your Christmas plans from a financial perspective?

or  view results

Popular Kamloops This Week

Events Calendar

Help Us Help Kamloops. Support Local Media.

In response to the COVID-19 crisis, Kamloops This Week is now soliciting donations from readers. This program is designed to support our local journalism in a time where our advertisers are unable to due to their own economic constraints. Kamloops This Week has always been a free product and will continue to be free. This is a means for those who can afford to support local media to help ensure those who can’t afford to can get access to trusted local information. You can make a one-time or a monthly donation of any amount and cancel at any time .

NEW: For every donation of $25 or greater, we will offer a digital advertising package to the local non-profit group of your choice.

Click on https://support.kamloopsthisweek.com for more information or to make your donation.

Thank you in advance for your support.