The recently elected Kamloops council was sworn in on Monday night at the Coast Kamloops Hotel and Conference Centre.
The new council consists of incumbents Mayor Ken Christian and councillors Arjun Singh, Kathy Sinclair, Dieter Dudy and Denis Walsh, along with first-time councillors Mike O’Reilly, Dale Bass, Sadie Hunter and Bill Sarai.
In his address, Christian told a full house he will be proposing a new committee structure in the coming weeks that will be more streamlined and aligned with city services.
- a development and sustainability committee (focused on climate change, community planning and development cost charges);
- a finance committee (to review services agreements, enhance digital strategy and investigate the industrial tax balance);
- a community services committee (community safety and social planning, healthy Kamloops task force to focus on families, seniors and those with unique needs);
- a civic operations committee (review service levels, address governance issues and delve into emerging issues); and
- a community relations committee (maintain and enhance partnerships, including with Thompson Rivers University, Tk’emlups te Sewcepemc and Kamloops-Thompson school district).