Premier says there is no rush to school, business restart plans

John Horgan said each school district will make its own detailed plans to finish the school year, while employers should not be forcing employees to come to work if they’re not ready to do so

Premier John Horgan said the return of part-time school for a few weeks in June is not a signal for a return to normal, and added businesses should take care as they bring employees back during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Taking questions after a Wednesday cabinet meeting, Horgan gave assurances to teachers and other employees that the province’s phase two reopening of the economy will have some “bumps on the road,” but will be done safely.

article continues below

“We want to do a dry run for teachers, for support staff for students, to see what physically distant school looks like,” Horgan said, emphasizing that each school district will make its own detailed plans to finish the school year interrupted by coronavirus restrictions.

B.C. schools have continued operating through public health restrictions, with in-class instruction for the children of essential workers. That is set to step up starting June 1, with part-time classroom instruction for kids in kindergarten to Grade 5, likely alternating days, and one day a week for students in grades 6 to 12.

“These are times filled with anxiety, but we’ve tried to reduce that anxiety as much as possible by putting in a plan that will allow for physical distancing for teachers and kids, as well as making sure that we’re reminding children of how joyous school can be,” Horgan said.

“For those kids who are having challenges with online learning, this is an opportunity to get a little bit of face-to-face instruction.”

As restaurants, pubs, hair salons and other businesses begin to come back to operation, Horgan had advice for the operators.

“Employers should not be forcing employees to come to work if they’re not ready to do so,” he said.

Horgan was asked about the extension of Canada’s border closure with the U.S. for non-essential travel, while travel across Canada continues, including to Quebec, where the COVID-19 infection rate is higher than most of the U.S.

The international border restriction has been extended for at least another 30 days, to June 21. Canadians have a constitutional right to travel within the country, he said.

“I’m pretty happy with the border efforts we’ve got in place today,” he said, noting B.C. government staff were sent to border crossings to make sure people returning to Canada have a 14-day self-isolation plan.

Since then, between 40,000 and 45,000 people have crossed into B.C. and only about 150 didn’t have a written plan and required government-supervised quarantine, he said.

Electronic tracking has not been necessary, Horgan said, adding that “the old telephone and knock on the door” has been enough to make sure people self-isolate.

© Kamloops This Week

 


KTW Daily News Alerts
KAMLOOPS WEATHER

Question of the Week POLL

Did you try to book a campsite when the online portal opened on May 25? If so, how did you do?

or  view results

Popular Kamloops This Week

Events Calendar

It’s time. Support your local media.

In response to the COVID-19 crisis, Kamloops This Week is now soliciting donations from readers. This program is designed to support our local journalism in a time where our advertisers are unable to due to their own economic constraints. Kamloops This Week has always been a free product and will continue to be free. This is a means for those who can afford to support local media to help ensure those who can’t afford to can get access to trusted local information. You can make a one-time or a monthly donation of any amount and cancel at any time.

Click on https://support.kamloopsthisweek.com for more information or to make your donation.

Thank you in advance for your support.