Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has issued a new verbal order stating that all restaurants must move to a take-out or delivery model immediately.
“It’s become clear to me there are certain settings where this is really a challenge. … So from today, my order is that restaurants must move to take-out or delivery model only as a way to best protect us and ensure we can maintain those distances,” Henry said.
Henry also reiterated that many other businesses can, and should, stay open, but they must have social distancing measures in place, ensuring groups do not congregate and not many people are around.
“This is not forever. But right now, we need to be in small groups,” she said. “We must be united in these efforts and we must build that firewall.”
Friday’s update revealed 77 new cases in the province, which now has a total of 348 cases.
Of those cases, 200 are in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, 95 are in the Fraser Health Region, 30 are on Vancouver Island, 19 are in the Interior Health region and four are in the north.
There are now 22 patients hospitalized and 10 of those are in the intensive care unit.
Six people have fully recovered, meaning two consecutive negative tests for COVID-19.
Henry started the day’s briefing by stressing the importance of health care workers right now.
Among the infected so far have been two dozen health care workers, Henry said, noting that their symptoms have been mild and none have had severe illness, although some have been very briefly hospitalized.
“We do have the supplies that we need right now and we’re doing everything we can to continue protecting everybody in the health care system right now, and that’s my personal commitment, as well,” she said.