Firefighters are warning smokers to watch their butts following a rash of recent blazes sparked by discarded smoking materials.
“Over the past two weeks in Kamloops, Kamloops Fire Rescue has responded to three fires that were caused by smoking that could have easily resulted in fatalities,” KFR life safety educator Lyle Weninger said.
“Two of these incidents were from smoking materials being discarded in planters. In one case, there were no working smoke alarms in the residence and the occupant was alerted by someone passing by.”
Weninger said it’s important for smokers to be cautious at home.
He urged smokers to smoke outside, use a sturdy ashtray rather than planters, smoke only while alert and never smoke near someone using medical oxygen.