Construction is slated to begin again on the Trans Mountain pipeline.
In a notice issued this week by Trans Mountain Corp., the federal Crown corporation said it had given its prime construction contractors 30 days notice to begin “hiring workers, procuring goods and services and developing detailed construction work plans.”
About 4,200 workers are expected to be employed building the pipeline, Trans Mountain Corp. said. The federal government purchased the pipeline expansion back in 2018 for $4.5 billion.
It went through a re-approval process earlier this year and was green lit in June.
Work is scheduled to start up again in communities along the route between Edmonton and the terminals in Burnaby. This will include a right-of-way in Alberta and an “immediate” return to work at the Burnaby and Westridge Marine terminals.
Work will also commence in the Kamloops area.
“Clearly this project has been subjected to numerous delays and setbacks over the past several years. With today’s announcement on the commencement of construction, I firmly believe that we are finally able to start delivering the significant national and regional benefits we have always committed to,” said CEO Ian Anderson on Wednesday,
The Crown corporation said if it gets the permits and approvals it needs on time, the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022.