Calling all pickle lovers to Kamloops! If you're obsessed with pickles - we're talking garlic, in a cocktail, in a soup, you name it - then we have something for you. That something is dill-icious, will give you serious FOMO, and is on a phone near you. In Kamloops the only question is, to dill or not to dill? We are in pursuit of the ideal pickle pairing, and you’re invited. Yes, you heard us right, Kamloops is relishing the pursuit of the perfect cucumber that pickles your fancy and our creative local businesses are stepping up to the challenge - It’s dang near a pickle palooza!
How did we get here? We’re glad you asked! The history of pickles is a long and winding one, full of twists and turns. It all begins with the cucumber, a humble vegetable that has been cultivated for thousands of years. Early cucumbers were likely more bitter than today's varieties, but that didn't stop people from finding creative ways to eat them. One popular method was to soak them in brine, a salty solution that helps to preserve food. This gave rise to the pickle as we know it today. The word "pickle" actually comes from the Dutch word "pekel," which refers to the brine in which cucumbers are soaked.
The creativity of our ancestors lives on in Kamloops as our local businesses embrace the pursuit of the perfect pickle pairing. We are challenging you to sample them all! Here’s how it works.
Step 2: Visit the 10 participating businesses and ‘redeem’ their exclusive pickle dish.
Step 3: Collect 1 unique pickle themed sticker from each participating business.
Step 4: Eat fast! The first 100 pursuiters who visit all 10 businesses and collect 10 stickers win an exclusive “I got pickled in Kamloops” t-shirt from BigFoot Trading Co. in the Aberdeen Mall.
Here’s what to indulge in on your pickle pursuit…
- Amsterdam Restaurant will be incorporating your purest passion for pickles into their breakfast pannenkoek with a lemon and dill sauce.
- Bright Eye Brewing has us jarred with their “Kind of a Big Dill Grilled Cheese”, the oooey gooey delicious combination of pickles and cheese.
- ROMEOs Kitchen + Spirits is taking the soup and sandwich in a dill-lightful direction with the ROMEOs Pickled Caesar + Pulled Beef Sandwich with Dill Pickle Soup.
- Barside Lounge & Grill is serving up a divine dill pickle chowder.
- Cordo Resto + Bar is offering crispy pickled oyster mushroom tacos.
- The Noble Pig Brewhouse is taking brine in a new direction with Pickle Fried Chicken.
- Underbelly by the Pig will have you puckering up for a Dill + Jalapeno Margarita.
- Mason's Kitchen & Bar is giving new meaning to the charcuterie happy hour with a Cucumber Dill Gin Fizz and Masons Pickle 'N' Cheese Board
- Red Beard Café is reimagining the hair of the dog with a Pickle Back Shot
- The Black Iron Club & Grill at Tobiano is putting a dill driven twist on their Reuben Flatbread
So, sign up now and explore Kamloops in a funky way. We’re sort of a big dill.
Learn more at tourismkamloops.com/pickle-pursuit.